Short Stirling for Microsoft Flight Simulator
About this aircraft ...
The Short Stirling was the RAF's first operational four engined bomber of the second World War and in its day it was reputed as an advanced and formidable aircraft. The Short Stirling was initially conceived in 1936 in reply to advances made by the Americans and Russians in the area of Quadri-motor bomber technology. The first Stirling prototype was designed in 1938 and it eventually flew its maiden voyage in 1939 and after suffering teething problems with the undercarriage. The Stirling went onto to play a major part in RAF Bomber Command's strategic air offensive until 1943, when it was switched to transport duties. Even then Stirling crews valiantly played a major role in the Arnhem landing after towing gliders to Normandy, and again during the Rhine crossing.
Stirling variants included :
- Stirling Mk1 : W7451. 7 Squadron, RAF Oakington, Cambridgeshire, England, early 1941.
Manufactured by Austin Motors, Longbridge, Birmingham.
- Stirling Mk3 : EF411. 149 Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, England, late 1942.
Manufactured by Short Bros., Rochester, Kent.
- Stirling Mk4 : LK117 570 Squadron, RAF Harwell, Oxfordshire, England, 17 September 1944.
Manufactured by Short & Harland, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- PBR materials/textures used throughout
- VR tested
- Wwise soundscape, Hercules engine sounds, switch/knob clicks
- very detailed cockpit with numerous animations and mousable controls
- working Lorentz Indicator (uses DME/NAV1 LOC)
- togglable crew ladder
- togglable crew figures
- animated cockpit windows, bomb bay doors in both wings and fuselage
- animated cowl flaps
- authentic flight model
- 28-page illustrated User Operating Manual
Short Stirling for MSFS In-Game Screenshots